British people living in Spain who have not registered their residency in this country are being advised to protect their rights under the Withdrawal Agreement between the UK and Europe.  Those who have registered and are in possession of the green certificate or credit-card sized card they already hold need take no action.

From last month, new applicants must submit the required paperwork to the provincial Immigration office (Oficina de Extranjería) in the city of Málaga.  This can be done in person, through a representative or on-line. 

Once the application has been approved, applicants can collect a new biometric photo ID card from the nearest National Police office, which in the case of the Axarquía is in Vélez Málaga. 

This new card is known as the TIE (Tarjeta de Identidad de Extranjero) and should be held individually by every foreign adult and child who is resident in Spain.  Those who already hold the residency certificate or card will be able to apply to replace these with the TIE.  Further information can also be found on the UK Government’s “Brits in Spain” Facebook page.

In a joint video launching details of the new residency card, British Ambassador Hugh Elliott and Hana Jalloul of Spain’s Ministry of Inclusion, Social Security and Migrations, urged unregistered residents to take action promptly.  “We want you to stay,” said Hana Jalloul.  “You are part of the Spanish family. You are part of us.”  She emphasised that, “As long as you are legally resident in Spain before December 31st, your rights are guaranteed,” and concluded, “This is, and always will be, your home.”  The video is available to watch on YouTube.